Joel M. Caplan | Official Website
Consulting Expert Witness
Joel Caplan, PhD
Independent, evidence-based insights for civil and criminal litigation. Applied research, scientific theories and data analysis to help win your case. Specializing in geospatial and temporal aspects of foreseeability, high-crime areas, opportunities for crime, security and deterrence.
Recent Cases Involve:
- Forensic criminology to explain behaviors, settings and opportunities for crime.
- Analyzing prior incidents of similar wrongful acts.
- Foreseeability of crime at the time and location of the subject incident.
- Assessing security and crime prevention measures on the premises.
- Quantifying high-crime areas and low-risk places.
- GIS mapping to analyze spatial data and assess place-based claims.
Unique situational contexts of crime at micro-level places and times must be analyzed to confidently form opinions about foreseeability, security and deterrence measures.
Security & Deterrence Measures
The presence of security guards or technologies does not always guarantee the absence of crime. Some resources, policies and practices affect deterrence and opportunities for crime better than others.
Different opportunities for crime and their situational contexts exist at the micro-level. High-crime cities can have low-crime places within them. Relatively higher-risk places exist within low-crime towns. Physical features of landscapes can raise or lower crime risks. Some types of businesses aggravate crime risks more than others. Risks inside buildings differ from outside or off-premises. Some places have protective qualities. These and other factors vary by crime type and should be taken into account for reliable and valid assessments of foreseeability.
Experienced and Respected
Part of a core team of distinguished practitioners, researchers and policy makers with advanced degrees, board certifications, professional licenses, and backgrounds in:
- Criminology, crime analysis, geospatial mapping, policing, law enforcement, corrections, probation/parole, use-of-force, firearms, private security management, asset protection, premises liability, administrative negligence, workplace violence, executive protection, homeland security, active shooter planning, private investigation, maritime transportation, emergency medical services, disaster and emergency management.
- Casinos, schools, healthcare facilities, residential housing, public spaces, government buildings, corporate properties, retail businesses, sports stadiums.
The environment is a backdrop for illegal behavior that also plays a role in creating opportunities for crime, constraining actions, and aggravating or mitigating outcomes and consequences.